[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 11:30:00 EST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 4:24 AM, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    First things first, happy new year to all !
>
>    Having recently felt the pain to use subversion merge, I was
> wondering about people's feeling on moving away from subversion and
> using a better system, ala mercurial or bzr (I will talk about bzr
> because that's the one I know the most, but this discussion is really
> about using something better than subversion, not that much about bzr).
> I think this could be an important step forward, and is somewhat related
> to the discusions on scikits and co.
>    As some of you are certainly aware, there has been a recent trend
> towards so called Distributed Version Control Systems (DVCS). I won't go
> into the details, because it varies from system to system, and I am in
> no position to explain technical details. But for people who are
> wondering, here is a small description of DVCS, and why I think this can
> be a significant step forward for numpy/scipy. You can skip it if you
> know about them

I like Mercurial and use it a lot, but I'm not convinced we have enough
developers and code to justify the pain of changing the VCS at this time.
SVN generally works well and has good support on Windows through tortoise.
Mercurial also has tortoise support these days, but I haven't ever used it
and can't comment on it. In fact, I've never even used Mercurial on windows,
perhaps someone can relate their experiences with it. I suppose a shift
might be justified if there is a lot of branch merging and such in our
future. Anyone know what folks are working in branches?

Chuck