[Numpy-discussion] np.loadtxt : yet a new implementation...

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 18:28:38 EST 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 6:21 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Pierre GM wrote:
>> Another issue comes from the possibility to define the dtype
>> automatically:
>
> Does all that get bypassed if the dtype(s) is specified? Is it still
> slow in that case?

Good question. Having a dtype != None does skip a secondary loop.
Once again, I;m sure there's plenty of room for optimization (eg,
different loops whether the dtype is defined or not, whether missing
values have to be taken into account or not, etc...). I just want to
make sure that we're not missing any functionality and/or corner cases
and that the usage is intuitive enough before spending some time
optimizing...