[Numpy-discussion] ANNOUNCE: EPD with Py2.5 version 4.0.30002 RC2 available for testing

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 10:30:40 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:12 AM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 12:44:10PM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:00 AM, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I tried installing 4.0.300x on a machine running 64-bit windows vista
> home
> > > edition and ran into problems with PyQt and some related packages. So I
> > > uninstalled all the python-related software, EPD took over 30 minutes
> > > uninstall, and tried to install EPD 4.1 beta.
>
> > My guess is that EPD is only 32 bits installer, so that you run it on
> > WOW (Windows in Windows) on windows 64, which is kind of slow (but
> > usable for most tasks).
>
> On top of that, Vista is not supported with EPD. I had a chat with the
> EPD guys about that, and they say it does work with Vista... most of the
> time. They don't really understand the failures, and haven't had time to
> investigate much, because so far professionals and labs are simply
> avoiding Vista. Hopefully someone from the EPD team will give a more
> accurate answer
> soon.

Thanks Gael and David. I would avoid windows altogether if I could. When I
bought a new laptop I had the option to pay extra to downgrade to XP pro, I
should have done some more research before I settled for Vista. In the
meantime I'll borrow an XP machine when I need to build python package
installers for windows.

Hopefully a solution can be found at some point for python and Vista. Losing
compatibility on such a major platform will become increasingly problematic.