[Numpy-discussion] Toward a numpy build with warning: handling unused variable

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 19:30:50 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za> wrote:

> I agree -- seeing the NumPy-related build warnings would be very useful.

I did not anticipate people would disagree on the idea of removing
warnings, so I guess thare are two questions:
 - why / why not removing bogus warnings
 - if removing is considered OK, what's the best method: with the
compiler-specific method, it could be done automatically and safely
with some regex.

> Do you know how to address these?
>
> numpy/core/src/arrayobject.c:3092: warning: format '%d' expects type
> 'int', but argument 4 has type 'long int'

Yes, at least on some platforms: this is addressed by using the
inttypes.h header, proof of concept here:

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/847

But it would need a configuration stage to test we have the required
formats in inttypes (the patch relies on how configuration is done in
the python header, which I don't like and is not really robust).

cheers,

David