[Numpy-discussion] untenable matrix behavior in SVN

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Tue Apr 29 15:34:07 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 03:32:17PM -0400, Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Gael Varoquaux apparently wrote:
> > Could you remind me which one it is?

> Proposal #6 at
> <URL:http://www.scipy.org/MatrixIndexing#list-of-proposals>
> is my effort to summarize what Tim was proposing.
> It does not include the oriented 1d vectors that I think you
> need (if I have understood you).

I prefer proposal number 1.

> PS For beginners, perhaps ``x[[i],:]`` would be better
> than ``x[i:i+1,:]``.  It has other advantages too...

I think this will get beginners lost. From my experience, people take a
long time to understand indexing with an iterable. It is actually a
source of confusion, but I am not even remotely thinking of removing it,
because it is soooo nice, when you know how to use it.

Gaël