[Numpy-discussion] untenable matrix behavior in SVN

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Tue Apr 29 15:27:21 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 03:20:02PM -0400, Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Gael Varoquaux apparently wrote:
> > x[i, :]*A*x[:, i]
> > I find this cleaner, because more explicit, than x[i]*A*x[:, i].

> >>         a. would e.g. ``x[i:i+1,:]``

> > No way.

> So *if* ``x[0]`` is going to be 1d to fix the many anomalies that
> have surfaced, then you would still want ``x[0]==x[0,:]``,
> but to have those be 1d and have ``x[i, :]*A*x[:, i]`` work
> would require (oriented) "vector" objects, so you would want
> those.

> Is that a fair summary of your view?

That an extremely good summary of my views. Better than I could have
formulated it. Thank you.

Given this good short paragraph summing up the problem, as I see it, this
is why I think the only correct option is the oriented 1D objects. The
second best option is not to change anything in order not to break
backward compatibility.

Gaël