[Numpy-discussion] untenable matrix behavior in SVN

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Fri Apr 25 13:23:15 EDT 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Jarrod Millman apparently wrote:
> I would like, so I can't tell if there is anything so
> uncontroversial that it would make sense to change for the
> 1.1.0 release.

I think it is clear from reactions that the revision r5072
to matrix behavior should NOT go into any release.

> If there is something that can be unanimously agreed on
> within the next 24 hours or so, I would be happy to have
> it included in 1.1.

I see 3 possibilities (in rank order of preference):

        1. return 1d arrays in response to scalar indexing of matrices
        2. raise an error on scalar indexing of matrices
        3. simply revert the r5072 change.

Since there is universal accord that x[0][0] == x[0,0] is
desirable, and we will get that with option 1, I think it is
the right provisional behavior.  I believe that option
1 provides a step in the direction of the ultimate behavior,
no matter what that will be.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac