[Numpy-discussion] Distutils: using different linker options for c++ and c code

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Apr 17 07:34:48 EDT 2008

Hi,

    I cannot seem to make scipy.sparse works on windows with mingw32,
and it seems related to the msvc runtime. I always get segfaults in the
sparsetools module (c++); if I build the module manually to control the
options precisely and remove the -lmsvc71 from the build command, I
cannot reproduce the segfault anymore (but the segfault does not happen
100 % of the time, so it is hard to be sure)

    So is there a way in distutils to make the difference between C++
and C: for extension with C, use the msvc, for extensions in C++, do not
use it ? (The obvious hack consisting in remove msvc alltogether does
not work: it crahses in scipy.io, which is linked to incompatible FILE
structures between mingw and VS, I guess).

    thanks,

    David