[Numpy-discussion] Release of NumPy

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Tue Apr 15 10:33:27 EDT 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Stéfan van der Walt apparently wrote:
> I'm still -1 on this.  I think we should follow Tim's suggestion and
> implement RowVectors and ColumnVectors.

I thought the context of the discussion had become something
like this: there is no reason for the matrix interface to
deviate from the array interface except as needed to provide
specific desired functionality.  Essentially,

        - matrix multiplication
        - powers of square matrices
        - submatrix creation

The proposal on the table is to remove an unneeded (and
unwanted) deviation of the matrix API from the ndarray API.
That is all.

Adding row and column vectors is really orthogonal to the
change under discussion.  (And let me add, as a user of
matrices, I am never feeling the need for these. Are you?)

Cheers,
Alan Isaac