[Numpy-discussion] Release of NumPy

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Apr 15 03:56:51 EDT 2008

Sebastian Haase wrote:

> So, to summarize one more time:
> """
> What used to be talked about as "1.1" will now become "1.2" ---
> and "1.0.5" will be "1.1"
> """
>
> Did I get this right !?
>
> I'm curious to know _which_ were the changes that break the API. I
> thought all additions like "axis=0" were made without breaking the
> backwards compatibility. Otherwise it would (should !!!) have been
> added as "axis=None".

The new masked array has significant different behaviour than the old
one, for once. This may be the biggest change for the formally known as
1.0.5. Personally, I think focusing on version number is wrong: what
matters is API changes/compatibility, and how we handle it. Everything
else is just nitpicking.

> Please keep in mind that there are a number of these "awkward"
> "wrong-default" arguments. I was hoping these would be unified [e.g.
> always same default, axis=None]  very soon  -- that is in 1.1.

Is this noted somewhere (e.g. is there a ticket for it ?). I think
unifying API is really important, and the only way to do it is to keep
track of those inconsistencies, so that we can decide what to do with them.

cheers,

David