[Numpy-discussion] #734: interactive docstring search (lookfor)

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Thu Apr 10 17:42:05 EDT 2008

Travis E. Oliphant kirjoitti:
> Pauli Virtanen wrote:
[clip]
>> I think this is a good idea: full-namespace docstring search à la Matlab
>> lookfor. I wrote a quick implementation for numpy here:
>> http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/734
>>

> Cool.  I started scipy.misc.info a long time ago to try and do this.   I
> didn't advertise it well enough ;-)
>
> scipy.misc.info('eigvals')
>
> I'm happy to move this functionality into numpy (but it might be better
> in IPython).

Aha! I was wondering if something this simple was already present, but I
didn't notice that numpy.lib.utils.info also accepted strings as
parameters. Btw, the info function is already in numpy and the code is
duplicated in scipy.misc.

However, "info" is a bit different from "lookfor" in that it finds
documentation by the exact function name, not by looking into the
docstrings.

So, should info and lookfor be combined, or kept separate?

--
Pauli Virtanen