[Numpy-discussion] missing function in numpy.ma?

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 11:53:33 EDT 2008

All,
Because numpy.ma.MaskedArray objects are now derived from classical ndarrays,
the subclassing rules should be followed. As we observed yesterday with
Charles, the adaptation is not as straightforward as we hoped.

If you have time constraints, the easiest would indeed be to revert to the
previous implementation of MaskedArray (viz, as an object, where the
initialization is performed with a __init__ function). Now, I'm not sure how
well it's gonna interface with numpy.ma, we need to try.

In the long run however, I think you should try to switch to regular ndarrays
and ndarray subclasses. I do agree it's more of a long-term process, but I'd
be happy to help (you and I are working more or less on the same field
anyway, I needed some tools to handle my environmental/climatic time series)

Let me try to cook something up. In the meantime, please keep me posted.
P.