[Numpy-discussion] Extracting all the possible combinations of a grid

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sat Sep 22 12:11:25 EDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 09:58:33AM -0600, Charles R Harris wrote:
>    Umm... that doesn't look quite right. Shouldn't it be something like

Puzzling. My implementation works, as far as I could test it, which I did
as much as I could. Maybe the two are equivalent.

>    Algorithm L can be chunked pretty easily also:

Yes, I think this would scale even better for really big sets, as the
size of the chunk can be more easily controlled. The good think is that
with chunks like this the calculation is fully "local", so if the result
of the calculation does not depend on the number of points (eg its a sum
of the calculation for eache point) then the calculation can go on for
ever, there is no limit to the number of points other than the patience
of the operator. So if the algorythm is right, they can leave it running
for two days, and get great results for a paper.

Thanks for your input,

Gaël