[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.0.4 release

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sat Oct 20 05:16:10 EDT 2007

Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
> On 10/19/07, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>> numpy.scons branch
>>
>> This is a much more massive change. Scons itself adds something like 350
>> kb to a bzip tarball.
>
> If numpy build system will not depend on scons (is this right?) then
> .. Is it strictly needed to distribute scons with numpy?
Well, the choice is between requiring another dependency, with all the
version problems, and including it in the sources; also, although numpy
would not depend on scons in any way with the changes I suggested for
1.0.4, it would have helped detecting problems on some platforms. And I
hope that in the end, scons will be used for numpy (for 1.1 ?), once I
finish the conversion.

I don't see situations where adding 350 Kb in the tarball can be an
issue, so could you tell me what the problem would be ?

cheers,

David