[Numpy-discussion] Request for advice: project to get NumPy working in IronPython

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Mon Oct 15 15:44:52 EDT 2007

Giles Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Resolver Systems, we have a product that is written in IronPython -
> the .NET Python implementation - and allows users to use that language
> to script a spreadsheet-like interface.  Because they're using
> IronPython, they can access their existing .NET objects and libraries,
> which has worked out really well for us and for them.  But there's an
> increasing number of users who would like access to CPython C
> extensions - in particular, NumPy.
An IronPython compatible version of NumPy would be great.    Of course
it could be done by using C# to write NumPy, but I'm not sure that this
would really be any less work than creating a "glue" layer that allowed
most (or all) C-Python extensions to work with IronPython.

>     * How do people feel about a source-code-compatible solution,
>       where (perhaps) we would maintain a project that basically
>       provided an alternative makefile for NumPy - or, even better, we
>       could work with the NumPy developers to contribute a
>       .NET/IronPython package.

Hmm.. I don't know enough about C# I guess, but would a different
setup.py file really be enough?  Would this have some sort of C->C#
translator.  I would be surprised if that actually worked, though.

>    *
>

>     * Would it be better to try for some kind of "binary
>       compatibility", where we'd write some kind of "glue" that sat
>       between the existing C extension .pyd files and the IronPython
>       engine?  Our gut feeling is that this would be much more work,
>       but we might be missing something.

I'm not sure that this would really be any more work than the C->C#
translator that you are talking about above, but then again I've never
done any C to C# translation.

>     * What should the work's relationship to the NumPy project be?

This is flexible.   It could be distributed with NumPy or else simply
advertised by NumPy.

Best regards,

-Travis Oliphant