[Numpy-discussion] numpy/Windows shared arrays between processes?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 09:05:22 EDT 2007

On 10/9/07, Sebastian Haase <haase at msg.ucsf.edu> wrote:

> As I recollect, the tag thing was the key for  turning the mmap into a
> "not really memmaped file", that is, a memmap without a corresponding
> file on the disk.

All this is windows specific, I have never seen this tag thing on other OS.

> In other words, isn't a mmap ( without(!) tag ) always bound to a
> "real" file in the file system ?
No: mmap makes the link between a memory area and a file descriptor.
Nothing force the file descriptor to be bound to a "real" file. POSIX
defines shm_open to create shared memory file descriptor. AFAIK, this
is the standard way to share memory between processes on modern
unices: first create a memory area using shm_open, and then mmap it.

David