[Numpy-discussion] numpy distutils patch

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon Nov 19 21:09:06 EST 2007

On Nov 18, 2007, at 23:30 , Jarrod Millman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I never got any reply about the 'fix' for distutils.util.split_quoted
> in numpy/distutils/ccompiler.py.  Can anyone confirm whether this fix
> is correct or necessary?  If so, I would like to submit a patch
> upstream for this.

My opinion is that it's not necessary, or correct. The fix leaves
quotes in if there is no whitespace, so '"Hi"' is converted to
['"Hi"'], while '"Hi there"' becomes ['Hi there']. I can't see when
you'd want that behaviour.

Also, it's only used by ccompiler (numpy.distutils.ccompiler replaces
the version in distutils.ccompiler). numpy.distutils.fcompiler
*doesn't* use this version, it uses distutils.utils.split_quoted.
Since we run into more variety in terms of command lines with the
Fortran compilers than the C compilers I think, and haven't been
bitten by supposedly-bad quoting problems, I'll say we don't need our
version.