[Numpy-discussion] numpy 1.04 numpy.test() hang

Alexander Michael lxander.m at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 13:25:39 EST 2007

On 11/9/07, Geoffrey Zhu <zyzhu2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> And then I downloaded the egg file and ran easy_install
> c:\mypath\numpy-1.0.4-py2.5-win32.egg. Do not put the egg file in any
> of your python package directories, or easy_install won't unpack it. I
> haven't figured out why.

Most likely because "installing an egg" for the most part simply means
putting it on your python path. I say mostly, because of the issue of
unzipping that your experiencing as well as possibly adding it to your
easy_install.pth file and maybe even an issue with the part of the
python path the egg being on needing to be one that allows .pth files.
This is the long answer (and should likely be considered a bug), the
short answer is "don't do that". :)

You can also install setuptools with the windows installer at:
<http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools>.