[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.0.3 released

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu May 24 02:36:11 EDT 2007

dmitrey wrote:
> When I try to install numpy from sourses, either 1.0.2 or 1.0.3, I
> always get
> the debugged program raised the exception unhandled
> ".../site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so:
> undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_FromUnicode"
> File: /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/core/__init__.py.
> Line: 5

There is most likely a problem with your Python header files.  For some
reason you are running a "wide"-build of Python (where unicode
characters are 4-bytes each), but are compiling extensions to use 2-byte
unicode functions.

It's possible you have a /usr/local copy of Python and a /usr copy of
Python built with different widths for the unicode characters and you
are grabbing the wrong include files when you compile.

-Travis