[Numpy-discussion] matrix indexing question (final post)

Alan Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Wed Mar 28 18:25:57 EDT 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Robert Kern wrote:
> People have been giving you reasons, over and over again.
> You are simply refusing to listen to them.

Exploring whether the reasoning is adequate is not the same
as refusing to listen.  I do not presume my view is correct.

> You have a use case for arrays being the iterates.  You
>are presuming that the only argument that can beat that is
>another use case for matrix objects being the iterates.
>This is not true; there are other principles at work.

Put slightly differently:
given the surprising passion of the attacks at the
suggestion that perhaps iteration over a matrix might more
consistently yield arrays, I presumed there must be *many*
instances in which it was obviously desirable that such
iteration should yield matrices.  So I asked to see some.

In the context of this discussion, I found the (lack of)
response it proved irrelevant rather than important for
iteration over matrices to yield matrices.

I understand that some people claim that a general principle
of consistency is involved.  I have not been able to
understand this particular design decision as a matter of
consistency, and I have tried to say why.  However I am just
a user (and supporter) of numpy, and as indicated in other
posts, I make no pretense of deep insight into the design
decisions.  In this case, I simply wanted to open
a discussion of a design decision, not win an "argument".

Anyway, I understand that I am being perceived as
bull-headed here, so I'll let this go.  Thanks for your
attempt to help me see the virtues of the current design.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac