[Numpy-discussion] New Operators in Python

Steven H. Rogers steve at shrogers.com
Mon Mar 26 08:11:29 EDT 2007

Zachary Pincus wrote:

> Anyhow, feel free to disagree with me -- I'm no expert here. I'm only
> mentioning this as a public service to make it clear that most of
> what's being proposed in this thread is, for better or worse, 100%
> dead-in-the-water for Python 3, and the rest will have a fairly
> significant uphill battle.

Don't disagree about the uphill battle part, but I believe that you're
overly pessimistic about Unicode.  Unicode variables and operators have
only been rejected for Python 3.0, though the degree of Unicode support
is still under discussion.  If the core developers are convinced that
enough people would use it, and it is implemented in a maintainable way,
it is certainly possible for 3.1 or 3.2.

# Steve