[Numpy-discussion] basearray & dimarray : you have dead URL; + some questions

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:02:55 EDT 2007

dmitrey wrote:
> Hallo!
> Excuse my bad English.
>
> In the web page
> http://www.scipy.org/BaseArray/Application
> in the section

Note that this was an application for last year's GSoC. It's not an idea for
this year's GSoC.

> Now I'm writing some code and want to know, what will dotwise and matrix
> operations look like?

I believe the scope of that project was not to provide a full matrix or even
array computation package; we already have one in numpy. Rather, it was to put a
multi-dimensional array object into the Python standard library such that it
could be used by multiple packages for data interchange rather than an object
that would be used for computation itself.

The current proposal has moved to specifying a protocol that any object can provide.

  http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/trunk/numpy/doc/pep_buffer.txt

Consequently, the rest of your questions don't have answers.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco