[Numpy-discussion] Should bool_ subclass int?

Timothy Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Tue Jul 10 12:25:53 EDT 2007

[CHOP: lots of examples]

It looks like bool_s could use some general rejiggering. Let me put forth a
concrete proposal that's based on matching bool_ behaviour to that of
Python's bools. There is another route that could be taken where bool_ and
bool are completely decoupled, but I'll skip over that for now since I don't
really think it's a good idea.

   1. +,- are arithmetic operators and return ints not booleans
   2. *,** are arithmetic operators on scalars and arrays and return ints
   as above.
   3. &,|,^ are the logical operators and return booleans.
   4. *,** are defined on matrices to perform logical matrix
   multiplication and exponation.

This seems like the simplest route towards something that is both internally
self consistent and consistent with Python.

--
.  __
.   |-\
.  tim.hochberg at ieee.org