[Numpy-discussion] recompiling needed for binary module after numpy 1.0

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 00:41:30 EST 2007

Erin Sheldon wrote:
> I'm finally getting to this, I'm on the road.  Here is
> what gdb gives me
>
> --snip--
> Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
> Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
> Reading symbols for shared libraries .. done
>
> Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
> Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x5a6ae09a
> parse_fond (fond_data=0x5a6ae060 <Address 0x5a6ae060 out of bounds>,
> have_sfnt=0x5a6ae09c, sfnt_id=0xbfff8f4e, lwfn_file_name=0xbfff8e4a
> "", face_index=0) at
> /usr/local/src/freetype-2.2.1/src/base/ftmac.c:628
> 628     /usr/local/src/freetype-2.2.1/src/base/ftmac.c: No such file
> or directory.
>         in /usr/local/src/freetype-2.2.1/src/base/ftmac.c
>
> For some reason it is looking for something from freetype
> in /usr/local/src but this directory has never existed
> on my computer.  This is a new computer and I used the migration
> assistant to copy things from my old computer, so perhaps some
> paths got messed up.   I don't know how to address
> that type of issue on a Mac with no ld.so.conf type of file.

Your build of matplotlib is probably picking up a different freetype library
than the one you intended, one which somebody else built. Possibly the one in
/usr/X11R6/lib/. You can use otool(1) to figure out what shared libraries your
extension modules are linking against:

[matplotlib]$ otool -L ft2font.so
ft2font.so:
        /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0,
current version 10.8.0)
        /opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.2.3)
        /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version
7.4.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
88.3.3)
        /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.0.0)

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."