[Numpy-discussion] Where's append in NumPy??

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 17:29:59 EST 2007

Lou Pecora wrote:
> Where is  append  in NumPy?  I see it in the numpy
> manual (I paid for and have the latest version),  but
> when I invoke it, Python complains that it doesn't
> exist.  In  iPython a query like  append?  gives
> 'append" not found (after importing numpy).  Other
> numpy functions are there (e.g. nansum on same page in
> the book).  What am I missing?

What version of numpy are you using? They've been there since at least 1.0b4.

In [1]: import numpy

In [2]: numpy.app
numpy.append            numpy.apply_along_axis  numpy.apply_over_axes

In [2]: numpy.append?
Type:           function
Base Class:     <type 'function'>
Namespace:      Interactive
File:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy-1.0.2.dev3493-py2.5-macosx-10.4-i386.egg/numpy/lib/function_base.py
Definition:     numpy.append(arr, values, axis=None)
Docstring:
    Append to the end of an array along axis (ravel first if None)

In [3]: numpy.nansum?
Type:           function
Base Class:     <type 'function'>
Namespace:      Interactive
File:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy-1.0.2.dev3493-py2.5-macosx-10.4-i386.egg/numpy/lib/function_base.py
Definition:     numpy.nansum(a, axis=None)
Docstring:
    Sum the array over the given axis, treating NaNs as 0.

In [4]: print numpy.__version__
1.0.2.dev3493

--
Robert Kern