[Numpy-discussion] Greek Letters

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 19:19:55 EST 2007

Mark Janikas wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering how I could print the chi-squared symbol in python.  I
> have been looking at the Unicode docs, but I figured I would ask for
> assistance here while I delve into it.  Thanks for any help in advance.

Print it where? To the terminal (which one?)? In HTML? With some GUI?

Assuming that you have a Unicode-capable terminal, you can find out the encoding
it uses by looking at sys.stdout.encoding. Encode your Unicode string with that
encoding, and print it. E.g., I use iTerm on OS X and set it to use UTF-8 as the
encoding:

In [5]: import sys

In [6]: sys.stdout.encoding
Out[6]: 'UTF-8'

In [7]: print u'\u03a7\u00b2'.encode(sys.stdout.encoding)
Χ²

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."