[Numpy-discussion] [Matplotlib-users] [matplotlib-devel] Unifying numpy, scipy, and matplotlib docstring formats

Barry Wark barrywark at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 02:41:14 EST 2007

Perhaps we should consider two use cases: interactive use ala Matlab
and larger code bases. In the first case, being able to import * saves
a lot of typing and the namespace polution problem isn't a big deal.
The second use, obviously, benefits from avoiding import *.

Returning to the OP's questions, why couldn't both cases be helped by
creating a "meta-package" for numpy, scipy, and matplotlib? For the
sake of argument, lets call the package "plab". Existing code could be
affected by changing the individual packages, but a package that
essentially does

from pylab import *
from numpy import *
from scipy import *

would give a standard API that future code and interactive use could
use. Code could do
import plab

plab.plot() #etc.

and interactive use could do from plab import *.

Just a thought...

Barry