[Numpy-discussion] Possible solution to binary distributionproblems for numpy on linux?

Keir Mierle mierle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 13:05:20 EST 2007

On 2/15/07, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/12/07, LUK ShunTim <shuntim.luk at polyu.edu.hk> wrote:
> > David Cournapeau wrote:
> > > I think debian has numpy now (I am not using debian on workstation
> > > anymore, so I am not really following), but what about new versions of
> > > numpy/scipy ? If I want to give some of my code to people in my lab who
> > > do not use the same distribution than me, can I give a 10 minutes
> > > instructions set to have everything ?
> > >

> > "Bleeding-edge apt-get repository" according to their web page.
> > "To use it add the following line to you /etc/apt/sources.list"
> >
> > deb http://deb-scipy.alioth.debian.org/apt ./
>
> Yep. In general, if you are using a Linux distro it is quite easy to use the
> svn repository. It seem to be on the Mac and Windows that folks have
> problems, particularly in filling the dependencies on Atlas if they want
> efficiency.
>
> That said, Numpy and MatplotLab have settled enough that the standard
> packages are probably adequate.

While this is true for people admining their own machines, this is not the case
for people without root access. For example, it is a major hassle to install
numpy on the computers at my university for exactly this reason.

It would be nice to have a self contained build of numpy/scipy/matplotlib for
these cases.

Keir