[Numpy-discussion] numpy.array does not take generators

Barry Wark barrywark at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 19:00:58 EDT 2007

Is there a reason not to add an argument to fromiter that specifies
the final size of the n-d array? Reading this discussion, I realized
that there are several places in my code where I create 2-D arrays
like this:

arr = N.array([d.data() for d in list_of_data_containers]),

where d.data() returns a buffer object.

I would guess that this paradigm causes lots of memory copying. The
more efficient solution, I think, would be to preallocate the array
and then assign each row in a loop. It's so much clearer this way,
however, that I've kept it as is in the code.

So, what if I could do something like

arr = N.fromiter(d.data() for d in list_of_data_containers, shape=(x,y)),

with the contract that fromiter will throw an exception if any of the
d.data() are not of size y or if there are more than x elements in
list_of_data_containers?

Just a thought for discussion.

barry