[Numpy-discussion] rant against from numpy import * / from pylab import *

Eric Firing efiring at hawaii.edu
Thu Aug 9 14:12:00 EDT 2007

Sebastian,

I am trying to move things in the direction of simpler and cleaner
namespaces, but I think that to do it well requires a systematic
approach to the continuing numpification of mpl, so I have been working
on mlab.py before tackling pylab.  I hope everything can be done via
reorganization, without requiring any import tricks, but that remains to
be seen. I'm sorry this is taking a long time, but it is in the works.

Eric

Sebastian Haase wrote:
> [...]
> To easy typing I want to call numpy "N" and my pylab "P".
>
> I'm now using this code:
> <code snipplet for importing matplotlib>
>     import matplotlib, new
>     matplotlib.use('WXAgg')
>     from  matplotlib import pylab
>     P = new.module("pylab_sparse","""pylab module minus stuff alreay
> in numpy""")
>     for k,v in pylab.__dict__.iteritems():
>         try:
>            if v is N.__dict__[k]:
>                continue
>         except KeyError:
>            pass
>         P.__dict__[k] = v
>
>     P.ion()
>     del matplotlib, new, pylab
> </code sniplet for importing matplotlib>
>
> The result is "some" reduction in the number of non-pylab-specific
> names in my "P"-module. However there seem to be still many extra
> names left, like e.g.:
> alltrue, amax, array, ...
> look at this:
>     # 20070802
>     # >>> len(dir(pylab))
>     # 441
>     # >>> len(dir(P))
>     # 346
>     # >>> P.nx.numpy.__version__
>     # '1.0.1'
>     # >>> N.__version__
>     # '1.0.1'
>     # >>> N.alltrue
>     # <function alltrue at 0x01471B70>
>     # >>> P.alltrue
>     # <function alltrue at 0x019142F0>
>     # >>> N.alltrue.__doc__
>     # 'Perform a logical_and over the given axis.'
>     # >>> P.alltrue.__doc__
>     # >>> #N.alltrue(x, axis=None, out=None)
>     # >>> #P.alltrue(x, axis=0)
>
> I'm using matplotlib with
> __version__  = '0.90.0'
> __revision__ = '$Revision: 3003 $'
> __date__     = '$Date: 2007-02-06 22:24:06 -0500 (Tue, 06 Feb 2007) $'
>

> Any hint how to further reduce the number of names in "P" ?
> My ideal would be that the "P" module (short for pylab) would only
> contain the stuff described in the __doc__ strings of `pylab.py` and
> `__init__.py`(in matplotlib)  (+ plus some extra, undocumented, yet
> pylab specific things)
>
> Thanks
> -Sebastian
>

> On 3/16/07, Eric Firing <efiring at hawaii.edu> wrote:
>> Sebastian Haase wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>> I use the wxPython PyShell.
>>> I like especially the feature that when typing a module and then the
>>> dot "." I get a popup list of all available functions (names) inside
>>> that module.
>>>
>>> Secondly,  I think it really makes code clearer when one can see where
>>> a function comes from.
>>>
>>> I have a default
>>> import numpy as N
>>> executed before my shell even starts.
>>> In fact I have a bunch of my "standard" modules imported as <some
>>> single capital letter>.
>>>
>>> This - I think - is a good compromise to the commonly used "extra

>>> vs.