[Numpy-discussion] Numpy with uclibc compiled python

David Shepherd sdave at ufl.edu
Fri Apr 6 10:10:29 EDT 2007

Hey all,

We started to try and compile the numpy module on an embedded PowerPC
Xilinx board with no luck.  This is one of the errors I get when I try
to build the module on-board.  It is due to the fact that the compiler
is located in a different location than the original compiler for python
(i think).  I made symbolic links to fix the first error.  The second
more critical error that I cannot recover from is the "Error:
Unrecognized opcode: `fldenv'".  There are many more duplicates of this
error, but it occurs when the "umathmodule.c" is being compiled.

I have tried changing the CFLAGS multiple times with no luck.  Python
was compiled with uclibc libraries, so could this be the problem?  Is
there any way we could compile Python and numpy together in one step?

I am using Binutils 2.17, GCC 3.4.6, and Python 2.5.  Again, python was
compiled with uclibc, not the standard libraries.  We require the FFT
module for a project that is due in about a week.  Any help would be
appreciated.

-David Shepherd

C compiler:
/opt/automated-build/buildroot/build_powerpc/staging_dir/bin/powerpc
-linux-uclibc-gcc -DNDEBUG -Os -pipe -fPIC

compile options: '-I/usr/include/python2.5 -Inumpy/core/src
-Inumpy/core/include
  -I/usr/include/python2.5 -c'
powerpc-linux-uclibc-gcc: _configtest.c
sh:
/opt/automated-build/buildroot/build_powerpc/staging_dir/bin/powerpc-linux-u
clibc-gcc: not found
sh:
/opt/automated-build/buildroot/build_powerpc/staging_dir/bin/powerpc-linux-u
clibc-gcc: not found
failure.

I made symbolic links to fix the above errors, but then I also get
multiple assembler opcode errors when it tries to run the entry build:

powerpc-linux-gcc -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC
-Ibuild/src.linux-ppc-2.5/numpy/core/src -Inumpy/core/include
-Ibuild/src.linux-ppc-2.5/numpy/core -Inumpy/core/src
-Inumpy/core/include -I/root/python/include/python2.5 -c
build/src.linux-ppc-2.5/numpy/core/src/umathmodule.c -o
build/temp.linux-ppc-2.5/build/src.linux-ppc-2.5/numpy/core/src/umathmodule.o
.
.
.
.