[Numpy-discussion] About NumPy description

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Tue Apr 3 11:47:22 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've seen the description of NumPy in the recent announcement (btw, good
work!) and I think it misses something important. To put this in context, let
me paste the description used for the latest announce:

"""
NumPy is a Python extension that provides a multi-dimensional array and
basic mathematical processing to Python.  NumPy also provides foundation
for basic image and signal processing, linear algebra and Fourier
transforms, and random number generation.  NumPy also includes easy
integration with ctypes and Fortran allowing powerful extensions to be
written.
"""

This is ok but I think it stresses a bit too much the mathematical side of
NumPy and doesn't mention the important field of application for the flexible
multi-dimensional data containers that it provides. Namely, these containers
does offer support for completely general datatypes (not only numerical
types, but also ascii strings and unicode strings)  that can be combined in a
general way (even forming heterogeneous and/or nested datatypes) in one
single container in a very efficient manner (both in terms of speed and
memory).

I think that mentioning this concept can bring the attention of more people,
and most specially, the developers of database wrappers. One should not
forget that one of the limitations of the database interfaces in Python is
that each element retrieved from the database has to be wrapped with a Python
container (normally string or int/float objects), and this is very ineficient
when you have to retrieve large datasets from databases. IMHO, database
developers should learn about this capability of NumPy for the sake of
achieving efficient databases interfaces for Python.

Cheers,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"