[Numpy-discussion] how to compile numpy with visual-studio-2003?

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Thu Sep 28 12:32:08 EDT 2006

Tim Hochberg wrote:

>> Travis Oliphant wrote:

>>> I don't use VisualStudio2003 on Windows to compile NumPy (I use
>>> mingw).  Tim Hochberg once used a microsoft compiler to compile a
>>> previous version of NumPy and some things had to be fixed to make it
>>> work.  I'm not sure if some in-compatibilities have crept in since
>>> then or not.  But, I'd sure like to resolve it if they have.
>>>
>>> So, please post what problems you are having.  You may be the first
>>> person to try a microsoft compiler with Python 2.5
>>>

>> It was VS2003 that I used to compile numpy. However, I switched boxes
>> a while ago and I haven't got around to trying to compile on the new
>> box, I've just been using the released builds. So I'm not much help at
>> the moment. Things are clearing up a little bit here, so maybe I can
>> carve some time out to get things set up to compile in the next couple
>> days. If so I'll let you know what I find.
>>
> FWIW, I just got svn head to compile cleanly against Python *2.4* with
> VS2003. Later today I will try compiling against 2.5

OK. SVN head compiles out of the box and passes all tests for me under
both Python2.4 and Python2.5.

My stderr output includes all of the same warnings about not being able
to find ATLAS, BLAS and LAPACK that mg's does, but not "ERROR: Failed to
test configuration".

The stdout output also looks similar except for the error at the end. (I
can send you the entire stderr/stdout output privately if you like).

One thing I did notice is that your Python appears to be in a
nonstandard location: \Program Files\python\dist\src instead of the
standard \Python25, or at least that's where it's looking for things.
Perhaps this is confusing either distutils or some of numpy's addons to
distutils and causing it to misplace python25.lib. At least that's my
best (and only) guess at the moment.

-tim