[Numpy-discussion] how to compile numpy with visual-studio-2003?

Thu Sep 28 10:40:54 EDT 2006

Unfortunately, no Windows-x86 or Windows-x86-64bit Numpy-1.0rc1
installer are available on SourceForge yet. So the only current solution
for us is to compile it.
Moreover, our generic C++ framework is compiled with VisualStudio on
Windows-native and we compile all additions to it with the same
compiler, if compilation is needed.
Indeed, we have observed that Visual C++ is still the closest to a
"default" or "native" compiler for windows platform, like gcc is for
linux....well at least that's our experience when using other commercial
(or open-source, think python whose provide visual project files)
softwares requiring rebuilding/relinking.
Use MinGW for Numpy means risk some un-compatibilities between Numpy and
our framework (and even Python) or migrate all our development
environment  from Visual Studio to MinGW. this is not really an option
for the near or mean furture....
If some of you have good experiences for linking (static or dynamic)
libraries compiled with mixed compilers (especially mingw and visual),
knowing that our libraries contains C++, C and fortran code, we could
consider this as a temprary option for numpy, but for convenience we
would ultimately prefer to use only 1 compiler to avoid a double
maintenance of building tools....
Then, I wonder if the compilation of Numpy with Visual-Studio-2003 (or
2005) is scheduled ?

For your information, this is the standard output and the standard error
of the compilation of Numpy-1.0rc1 with Visual Studio 2003:

 >>> command line >>>
python setup.py build 1>stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt

 >>> stdout.txt >>>

F2PY Version 2_3198
blas_opt_info:
blas_mkl_info:
  libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in c:\Program Files\python\dist\src\lib
  libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in C:\
  NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_blas_threads_info:
Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS
  libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in c:\Program
Files\python\dist\src\lib
  libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in C:\
  NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_blas_info:
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in c:\Program
Files\python\dist\src\lib
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in C:\
  NOT AVAILABLE

blas_info:
  libraries blas not found in c:\Program Files\python\dist\src\lib
  libraries blas not found in C:\
  NOT AVAILABLE

blas_src_info:
  NOT AVAILABLE

  NOT AVAILABLE

lapack_opt_info:
lapack_mkl_info:
mkl_info:
  libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in c:\Program Files\python\dist\src\lib
  libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in C:\
  NOT AVAILABLE

  NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_threads_info:
Setting PTATLAS=ATLAS
  libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in c:\Program
Files\python\dist\src\lib
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in c:\Program Files\python\dist\src\lib
  libraries ptf77blas,ptcblas,atlas not found in C:\
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in C:\
numpy.distutils.system_info.atlas_threads_info
  NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_info:
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in c:\Program
Files\python\dist\src\lib
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in c:\Program Files\python\dist\src\lib
  libraries f77blas,cblas,atlas not found in C:\
  libraries lapack_atlas not found in C:\
numpy.distutils.system_info.atlas_info
  NOT AVAILABLE

lapack_info:
  libraries lapack not found in c:\Program Files\python\dist\src\lib
  libraries lapack not found in C:\
  NOT AVAILABLE

lapack_src_info:
  NOT AVAILABLE

  NOT AVAILABLE

running build
running config_fc
running build_src
building py_modules sources
building extension "numpy.core.multiarray" sources
Generating build\src.win32-2.5\numpy\core\config.h
No module named msvccompiler in numpy.distutils, trying from distutils..
0
Could not locate executable g77
Could not locate executable f77
Could not locate executable gfortran
Could not locate executable f95
customize GnuFCompiler
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable ifort
Could not locate executable ifc
Could not locate executable ifort
Could not locate executable efort
Could not locate executable efc
Could not locate executable ifort
Could not locate executable efort
Could not locate executable efc
customize IntelVisualFCompiler
Could not locate executable ifl
Executable ifl does not exist
customize AbsoftFCompiler
Could not locate executable f90
Executable f90 does not exist
customize CompaqVisualFCompiler
Could not locate executable DF
Executable DF does not exist
customize IntelItaniumVisualFCompiler
Could not locate executable efl
Executable efl does not exist
customize Gnu95FCompiler
Could not locate executable f95
Executable f95 does not exist
Could not locate executable f95
Executable f95 does not exist
Could not locate executable f95
Executable f95 does not exist
customize G95FCompiler
Could not locate executable g95
Executable g95 does not exist
customize GnuFCompiler
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
customize Gnu95FCompiler
Could not locate executable f95
Executable f95 does not exist
Could not locate executable f95
Executable f95 does not exist
Could not locate executable f95
Executable f95 does not exist
customize GnuFCompiler
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
Could not locate executable f77
Executable f77 does not exist
customize GnuFCompiler using config
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin\cl.exe /c
/nologo /Ox /MD /W3 /GX /DNDEBUG -Ic:\Program
Files\python\dist\src\include -Inumpy\core\src -Inumpy\core\include
-Ic:\Program Files\python\dist\src\include -Ic:\Program
Files\python\dist\src\PC /Tc_configtest.c /Fo_configtest.obj
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin\link.exe
/nologo /INCREMENTAL:NO /LIBPATH:c:\Program Files\python\dist\src\lib
/LIBPATH:C:\ _configtest.obj /OUT:_configtest.exe
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'python25.lib'
failure.
removing: _configtest.c _configtest.obj

 >>> stderr.txt >>>

Running from numpy source directory.
C:\Program Files\numpy-1.0rc1\numpy\distutils\system_info.py:1296:
UserWarning:
    Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
    the ATLAS environment variable.
  warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
C:\Program Files\numpy-1.0rc1\numpy\distutils\system_info.py:1305:
UserWarning:
    Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas]) or by setting
    the BLAS environment variable.
  warnings.warn(BlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
C:\Program Files\numpy-1.0rc1\numpy\distutils\system_info.py:1308:
UserWarning:
    Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) sources not found.
    Directories to search for the sources can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas_src]) or by setting
    the BLAS_SRC environment variable.
  warnings.warn(BlasSrcNotFoundError.__doc__)
C:\Program Files\numpy-1.0rc1\numpy\distutils\system_info.py:1205:
UserWarning:
    Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
    the ATLAS environment variable.
  warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
C:\Program Files\numpy-1.0rc1\numpy\distutils\system_info.py:1216:
UserWarning:
    Lapack (http://www.netlib.org/lapack/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [lapack]) or by setting
    the LAPACK environment variable.
  warnings.warn(LapackNotFoundError.__doc__)
C:\Program Files\numpy-1.0rc1\numpy\distutils\system_info.py:1219:
UserWarning:
    Lapack (http://www.netlib.org/lapack/) sources not found.
    Directories to search for the sources can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [lapack_src]) or by setting
    the LAPACK_SRC environment variable.
  warnings.warn(LapackSrcNotFoundError.__doc__)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 89, in ?
    setup_package()
  File "setup.py", line 82, in setup_package
    configuration=configuration )
  File "C:\Program Files\numpy-1.0rc1\numpy\distutils\core.py", line
174, in setup
    return old_setup(**new_attr)
  File "c:\Program Files\python\dist\src\lib\distutils\core.py", line
149, in setup
    dist.run_commands()
  File "c:\Program Files\python\dist\src\lib\distutils\dist.py", line
955, in run_commands
    self.run_command(cmd)
  File "c:\Program Files\python\dist\src\lib\distutils\dist.py", line
975, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "c:\Program
Files\python\dist\src\lib\distutils\command\build.py", line 112, in run
    self.run_command(cmd_name)
  File "c:\Program Files\python\dist\src\lib\distutils\cmd.py", line
333, in run_command
    self.distribution.run_command(command)
  File "c:\Program Files\python\dist\src\lib\distutils\dist.py", line
975, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "C:\Program
Files\numpy-1.0rc1\numpy\distutils\command\build_src.py", line 87, in run
    self.build_sources()
  File "C:\Program
Files\numpy-1.0rc1\numpy\distutils\command\build_src.py", line 106, in
build_sources
    self.build_extension_sources(ext)
  File "C:\Program
Files\numpy-1.0rc1\numpy\distutils\command\build_src.py", line 212, in
build_extension_sources
    sources = self.generate_sources(sources, ext)
  File "C:\Program
Files\numpy-1.0rc1\numpy\distutils\command\build_src.py", line 270, in
generate_sources
    source = func(extension, build_dir)
  File "numpy\core\setup.py", line 50, in generate_config_h
    raise "ERROR: Failed to test configuration"
ERROR: Failed to test configuration

Thanks a lot for your help.