[Numpy-discussion] Shift or rotate command?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 22:04:15 EDT 2006

Hmm.  Yes maybe a shift w/fill would be useful too.  I can't recall
needing such a thing, but it could probably also be implemented easily
in a way similar to roll() above.  A multi-axis roll might also be
nice.  Could just allow roll's shiftby and axis args to be tuples.

Looking closer at the existing 'rollaxis',
   numpy.rollaxis(a, axis, start=0)
   if a.shape is (3,4,5,6)
   rollaxis(a, 3, 1).shape is (3,6,4,5)
   rollaxis(a, 2, 0).shape is (5,3,4,6)
   rollaxis(a, 1, 3).shape is (3,5,4,6)
   rollaxis(a, 1, 4).shape is (3,5,6,4)

it occurs to me that what it is actually doing is not what we've been
calling 'rolling'.  It's just a move, really (remove value from one
place and re-insert in another).  So perhaps the name should be
'moveaxis' instead?

--bb