[Numpy-discussion] please change mean to use dtype=float

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 20:18:52 EDT 2006

Sebastian Haase wrote:
> (don't know how to say this for complex types !? Are here real and imag
> treated separately / independently ?)

Yes. For mean(), there's really no alternative. Scalar variance is not a
well-defined concept for complex numbers, but treating the real and imaginary
parts separately is a sensible and (partially) informative thing to do. Simply
applying the formula for estimating variance for real numbers to complex numbers
(i.e. change "x" to "z") is a meaningless operation.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco