[Numpy-discussion] More about data types in NumPy

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Wed Sep 27 13:01:44 EDT 2006

Francesc Altet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for being insistent, but I recognize that I'm having a bad time
> with NumPy data type rational. Is there an explanation for this?:

Your actually talking about the array scalar types not the data-type
objects.

But, more to the point....

> <type 'numpy.int32'>

> <type 'numpy.int32'>

> False

On my 32-bit system I get:

numpy.sctypeDict['i4'] is numpy.sctypeDict['int32']

True

Hmm..... I don't know why you are getting a different result, but
perhaps it has to do with the fact that the character alias ('i4') is
not getting set at the same type as 'int32'.  I just fixed that.   That
should fix the problem.

-travis