[Numpy-discussion] please change mean to use dtype=float

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Tue Sep 19 19:59:08 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 15:48, Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Sebastian Haase wrote:
<snip>
> >can we please change dtype to default to float64 !?
>
> The default is float64 now (as long as you are not using
> numpy.oldnumeric).
>
> I suppose more appropriately, we could reduce over float for integer
> data-types when calculating the mean as well (since a floating point is
> returned anyway).

Is now mean() always "reducing over" float64 ?
The svn note """Log:
Fix mean, std, and var methods so that they reduce over double data-type with
integer inputs.
"""
makes it sound that a float32 input is stays float32 ?

For mean calculation this might introduce large errors - I usually would
require double-precision for *any*  input type ...

(don't know how to say this for complex types !? Are here real and imag
treated separately / independently ?)

Thanks,
Sebastian Haase