[Numpy-discussion] [MMTK] Re: Fwd: Collection.findTransformation() never stops

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Sep 19 14:42:57 EDT 2006

Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2006, at 5:11, Dr. Seth Olsen wrote:
>

>> Bill's answer to my inquiry about the problem I'm having with
>> Collection.findTransformation() (and also, incidentally, with the
>> dgesvd call in Subspace.getBasis(), has convinced me that I can no
>> long use MMTK without changing some of the code over to numpy.  I
>> have already been able to determine that invoking
>> numpy.oldnumeric.alter_code1.convertall() over the MMTK directory
>> tree is not the answer.  Has anyone on either of these lists ever
>> tried this before and, if so, can it be done (without destroying my
>> sanity)?
>>

> Adapting MMTK to NumPy is likely to be a major effort, in particular
> for the C modules.
Well,  I got both ScientificPython and MMTK to compile and import using
the steps outlined on http://www.scipy.org/Porting_to_NumPy  in about 1
hour (including time to fix alter_code1 to make the process even easier).

C-modules are actually easier to port because the Numeric C-API is
totally supported.

> A lot ot testing would also be required. If anyone
> wants to tackle this,
> I'd be happy to see the results.
Great.  I can totally understand people not having the time, but it is
fantastic to hear that the willingness to accept patches is there.

I was able to install ScientificPython and MMTK for NumPy on my system
using the patches provided on that page.    Is there a test suite that
can be run?

Users of MMTK could really help out here.

-Travis