[Numpy-discussion] max argmax combo

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Tue Sep 19 13:41:55 EDT 2006

A Dimarts 19 Setembre 2006 19:21, Charles R Harris va escriure:
> On 9/19/06, Francesc Altet <faltet at carabos.com> wrote:
> > A Dimarts 19 Setembre 2006 07:18, Charles R Harris va escriure:
> > > I note that argsort also produces indexes that are hard to use in the
> > > ndim>1 case.
> >
> > Perhaps it is worth to mention here that I've always liked to have a
> > sort()
> > and argsort() functionality merged in one shot function (or method).
> > Having
> > both separated implies two sorts, while if I'd have such a combo
> > available,
> > the resulting operation would take quite less time.
>
> Do you want both the indexes and index sorted array returned, or just sort
> the array using indexes, i.e., something like
>
> a.sort(kind="quicksort", method="indirect")

Uh, I don't understand what do you mean by "sort the array using indexes",
sorry.

What I'd like is to get the indexes and the sorted array returned. Or, another
option could be getting the sorted indexes returned and a sort of the array
done in-place (which is surely faster).

Regards,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"