[Numpy-discussion] max argmax combo

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Tue Sep 19 12:45:37 EDT 2006

A Dimarts 19 Setembre 2006 07:18, Charles R Harris va escriure:
> I note that argsort also produces indexes that are hard to use in the
> ndim>1 case.

Perhaps it is worth to mention here that I've always liked to have a sort()
and argsort() functionality merged in one shot function (or method). Having
both separated implies two sorts, while if I'd have such a combo available,
the resulting operation would take quite less time.

One can easily stablish kind of a pattern for situations where this could
happen: in all the 'arg*()' functions. Perhaps I'm wrong in my count, but
there appear to be only three of such functions in NumPy, namely, argmax,
argmin and argsort. Adding three additional 'combos' doesn't seem a lot to my
mind, but it can be just 'too much' for more common sense minds.

Cheers,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"