[Numpy-discussion] some work on arpack

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 13:10:55 EDT 2006

Don't know if this is any use, but to me (not knowing Fortran nearly
so well as C++) this looks pretty useful:
http://www.caam.rice.edu/software/ARPACK/arpack++.html
http://www.ime.unicamp.br/~chico/arpack++/

It provides a nice high-level interface on top of ARPACK.  I could see
it being useful on a number of levels:
1) actually use its wrappers directly instead of calling the f2py'ed
fortran code
    - at least as a stop gap measure to cover the holes ("shifted modes" etc)
    - this could potentially even be faster since the
reverse-communication interface requires some iteration, and this way
the loops would run in compiled C++ instead of python.

2) use it's code just as a reference to help write more wrappers to
the fortran code

3) if nothing else, it has pretty decent documentation.  For instance
it includes a nice table of the amount of storage you need to reserve
for various different calling modes.  (It seems ARPACK's main
documentation is not freely available, so I'm not sure what's in it,
but if you have that then ARPACK++'s docs may not be much help).

As far as I can tell, it must be under the same licensing terms as
ARPACK itself.  It doesn't actually specify anything as far as I could
see.  But it seems to be linked prominently from the ARPACK website
and appears as an offshoot project.

--bb