Unit test error with numpy rc3

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu Oct 26 12:14:33 EDT 2006

Ted Horst wrote:
> On Mac OS X tiger (10.4) ppc, long double has increased precision but
> the same range as double (it really is 128 bits not 80, btw), so
> e**1000 is inf, so this is not really an error.

Thanks for the clarification.   Long-double is not standard across
platforms with different platforms choosing to do different things with
the extra bytes.    This helps explain one more platform.

> I'm not sure what is the right thing to do in the test, check for
> overflow?  Also, finfo has never worked properly for this type.

In machar.py  is the code that runs to detect all of the parameters.  I
think the code should be moved to C as detecting precision on a
long-double takes too long.

The overflow check is a good idea. The test should probably check for
overflow and not try to run if it's detected.

-Travis