The NumPy Fortran-ordering quiz

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Oct 18 18:55:06 EDT 2006

Charles R Harris wrote:

> On 10/18/06, *Travis Oliphant* <oliphant at ee.byu.edu
> <mailto:oliphant at ee.byu.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Charles R Harris wrote:
>
>     > Well, I knew that for numeric, but it was a good deal less
>     obvious in
>     > combo with the order keyword.  For instance, contiguous could change
>     > its meaning to match up with FORTRAN, so that FORTRAN=True and
>     > CONTIGUOUS=True meant Fortran contiguous, which was sort of what
>     I was
>     > thinking. Explicit never hurts.
>

>     Ahh, so you were confused by looking at flags for 1-d arrays (where
>

> More confused by what seemed to make sense to me. Tim was the one who
> actually ran the experiment to see what was going on, and he wasn't
> sure what FORTRAN meant either. Now if I had accessed the full set of
> offsets, strides, and counts, it would all have become clear. Numpy
> tries to hide the nasty details, which is good until you really have
> to know what it happening underneath.

I've done as you requested.  I've added F_CONTIGUOUS as an alias to
FORTRAN and C_CONTIGUOUS as an alias to CONTIGUOUS.  These are the names
that show up when you print the flags and you can use them whenever you
used the other names.  The other names are still everywhere in the code,
but perhaps the existence of these aliases will help people understand
what is meant better.

-Travis