The NumPy Fortran-ordering quiz

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Wed Oct 18 14:33:49 EDT 2006

Tim Hochberg wrote:
> One thing that may be confusing the issue is that, as I understand it,
> FORTRAN and CONTIGUOUS together represent three states which I'll call
> FORTRAN_ORDER, C_ORDER and DISCONTIGUOUS.

Yep,  that's what they mean.  CONTIGUOUS is the name Numeric gave it and
it meant C-order contiguous.  We have kept the same meaning.  All we've
done is selected out from the class of arrays that Numeric called
DISTCONTIGUOUS, arrays that are FORTRAN-order (and so still
single-segment), but discontiguous in the sense that Numeric had.

> I periodically wonder if it
> would be valuable to have a way to query the order directly: the result
> would be "C", "F" or None, just like the order keyword that is passed
> in.
You an do it with the flags

a.flags.contiguous
a.flags.fortran

Discontiguous is when both of these are false.  Note that for a.ndim <
2, both a.flags.contiguous and a.flags.fortran are true if one of them
is true.

This is all explained in the first chapters of my book.  You have to
understand CONTIGUOUS == C-order contiguous and FORTRAN == Fortran-order
contiguous.

-Travis