incrementing along a diagonal

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 19:58:45 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, David Novakovic <david at distip.com.au> wrote:
> Johannes Loehnert wrote:
> This is very nice, exactly what i want, but it doesnt work for mxn
> matricies:

> array([[0, 0, 0],
>        [0, 0, 0],
>        [0, 0, 0],
>        [0, 0, 0],
>        [0, 0, 0]])
> array([[1, 0, 0],
>        [0, 1, 0],
>        [0, 0, 1],
>        [0, 0, 0],
>        [0, 0, 0]])

Exactly what output are you expecting?  That is the definition of the
'diagonal' for a non-square matrix.  If you're expecting something
else then what you want is not the diagonal.

> Just for reference, this is the line of perl i'm trying to port:
>

> like:
>
> for index in diag_iter(matrix,*axes):
>     matrix[index] +=1

That's not going to change the mathematical definition of the diagonal
of a non-square matrix.

> PS: If anyone would care to link me to the subscription page for the
> mailing list so you dont have to CC me all the time :)

Check the bottom of this message.