[Numpy-discussion] Hello and my first patch

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Thu Oct 5 00:35:49 EDT 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Greg Willden wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>> I introduced myself on the Scipy list and I have a feeling that most
>> of the subscribers here are also on Scipy-devel.  Anyway I just
>> submitted my first patch to numpy (ticket #316).  I added the
>> blackman-harris, Nuttall and Flat Top windowing functions and added
>> "See also" sections to the docstrings for all the window functions.
>
> Great contribution.  Thanks a bunch.  I think this will probably go into
> the scipy package, though.  There is already a lot of windows available
> in the scipy.signal.window function.
>
> The window functions that are in NumPy are there only for historical
> purposes only (i.e. compatibility with old MLab).
>
> On the other hand, the other thought to consider is that since we have
> window functions in NumPy already.  Let's just move them all from
> scipy.signal into NumPy.

If scipy is going to be installable as separate sub-packages maybe
all window functions can be moved to scipy ;-)

In other words, if the ones in numpy are there only for "historical
reasons" maybe they should be cleaned out before the 1.0 release.
All arguments seem similar to ndimage (which was is numarray and is now
in scipy)

-Sebastian