"Slicing" recarrays

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 7 19:53:47 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm using a recarray to read a bunch of binary data out of a file. It's
working great, but it seems there should be a more efficient way to
"slice" the data. Here's what I've got:

The binary data is essentially a dump of a 2-d array of structs. So I
read it like this:

DataType = N.dtype([("long","i4"), ("lat", "i4"), ("flag","b1")])

data = N.fromfile(file, DataType)

data.shape = (M, N)

So I now have a MxN array of the structs. What I would like to do is
extract a MxNx2 array of just the two 4-byte integers. It seems that I
should be able to do that without copying -- by using a view into the
original data. I can't figure out how, however. What I am doing is:

LEs = N.empty((M, N, 2), dtype=N.int32)
LEs[:,:,0] = data['long']
LEs[:,:,1] = data['lat']

This works, but these are BIG files, so it would be nice not to be doing
that extra copying. Is that possible?

Thanks,

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov