numarray indexing problems with Python2.5 and 64-bit platforms

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Thu Nov 2 14:26:25 EST 2006

Hi,

I've detected that numarray (1.5.2) seems to be bitten by the change in
Python 2.5 for indexes (http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/pep-353.html).
In a Linux64 machine (using Python 2.5), I get this:

>>> a=numarray.array([1,2,3])
>>> a[1:2]
array([1, 2])  # !

However, both Numeric and numpy seems to work well with the same
scenario.

>>> b=Numeric.array([1,2,3])
>>> b[1:2]
array([2])
>>> c=numpy.array([1,2])
>>> c[1:2]
array([2])

I see this as a major issue in numarray and poses in great danger the
intended support of PyTables for numarray that we planned for some time
(until end of 2007). It would be nice to know if the numarray crew would
be willing to address this, or, now that NumPy 1.0 is out, they have
decided to completely drop the support for it.

We'd really like to continue offering support for numarray (in the end,
it is a very good piece of software) in PyTables, but don't having a
solution for this problem anytime soon, will make this very problematic
to us.

Thanks,

--
Francesc Altet    |  Be careful about using the following code --
Carabos Coop. V.  |  I've only proven that it works,