[Numpy-discussion] Numpy Example List proposals

Gary Ruben gruben at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 18 07:38:03 EDT 2006

I want to thank Joris for this fantastic resource. Well done.
Further to Bill's suggestion, perhaps the first example(s) in each box
could be the docstring example. For functions/methods already with
docstrings, we could paste that into the wiki page. Those without could
be pasted back the other way.
Maybe we could convince the developers to add an example() function to
numpy and scipy which takes the function name as an argument and
accesses a file containing these examples and spits it out. This way we
could have many examples in the documentation without polluting the
docstrings with pages of text.
The Maxima CAS package provides help, example() and apropos() functions.
In this case example() actually executes the example input to generate
the output which we could do with numpy/scipy as well. apropos() returns
similar sounding functions. I contacted Fernando Perez the other day
because I discovered a neat recipe for this functionality in the python
cookbook here:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/409000
so we could do this in numpy/scipy too.

Gary R.